Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Friend's New Adventure

Those of you who know me well, understand that I am extremely SLOW to say good bye. It is safe to say I prefer denial to the finality of an absolute end. Over the past three years, God called several of my friends Home to be with Him. One went suddenly in a violent car accident two days before she and I were to have a long-overdue lunch date. Two other friends fought cancer over a few years and I was privileged to spend some precious and private time with each in their waning weeks. Another friend’s sudden cancer took him with little notice and I’ve been blessed to walk close with his widow as she grieves.
In all these cases, I had some issues with my Holy Father to settle first so I did not let go quickly or even delete their e-mail addresses from my contacts list until recently.

Just my way of being sassy to my Father.
He knows I don’t handle change easily.

Today, I'm rethinking goodbyes.

From the inception of this prayer blog of mine, a link has stood sentimental on my sidebar as a special local place: The Closer Walk Christian Bookstore.
The store closed on May 31, 2011.
I have grieved deeply.
But I could not write a good bye. I could not write about my memories or the blessings I received from Sheila and her store. The store ceased to exist eight weeks ago but I could not remove the link.
The Closer Walk Christian Bookstore was a fixture in Fredericksburg for 27 years. The store meant a lot to me and to our small town.

Sheila and the store have been in my life together for some fifteen years and through the store, Sheila was my mentor, confidant, former employer, and fellow writer. We walked through trials and tribulations together, shared joys and celebrations, shed pools of tears, and prayed together at the drop of a hat or a tear. She is a lovely lady who is small and delicate but who managed the bookstore with an iron glove and ministered to droves of us with a quiet, trusting heart.


May 2007 Sheila & Liz at The Closer Walk booksigning for Liz and Sally Clark.


When she and her husband closed the door the last time to the store, Sheila turned around to embrace the next adventure God will give her and she spent a month visiting with and entertaining her grandchildren, children, and other family, praying, contemplating, and listening to her Lord.
She has already begun to write more, to set up her speaking ministry, and work in her garden. Today I received word that Sheila has a new blog. She is taking a new first step.

*sigh* Maybe it is time for me to let go.

Oh!!! But, hey! Perhaps this goodbye isn’t going to be so bad after all:

·       Sheila’s e-mail address is ACTIVE and ALIVE
·       Sheila still answers her telephone
·       Sheila continues as an active member of our Hill Country Women of Words writers’ group.


Please visit Sheila’s new blog. You will be blessed sharing in her new adventure

1 comment:

  1. MELINDA ANONYMOUS
    I THOUGHT IT WASGREAT. IT MADE ME CRY,BECAUSE
    THERE HAVE BEEN A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT WE'VE KNOWNTHAT ARE NOT HERE ANYMORE.EVERYNOW@ THENI SURE
    DO MISS GRANDMOMMY@GRANDDADDY.IT'S GOOD TO KNOW
    THAT SHEILA FEELING BETTER ANDTHAT SHEIS LISTENING
    TO GOD,II KNOWYOU ARE TOO.

    ReplyDelete