Friday, September 10, 2010

Old Glory Waves On



Sunday, September 9, 2001 was a blessed and beautiful day for me. I spent it with my brother, his wife, their three grown sons, my daughter, and my grandson. My "little brother" was ordained into the ministry that morning. A truly joyous day for our family.
Funny that I have absolutely NO memory of the evening of Monday, September 10, 2001.
But, along with almost every other American, I can describe in minute detail my personal life on the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

Where were you?
      Living an ordinary life in a small, quiet, Texas hill country community away from any kind of city hustle-bustle. Our biggest excitement usually centered around a horse getting rambunctious during our annual county fair.

What were you doing?
      I was in my bedroom, dressing for work, listening to a sermon on the Christian radio station.

How did you hear?
      The radio station broke into the sermon to report that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center in New York City. I immediately switched on the television and saw the second plane go into the second tower.

Who was the first person you called?
     Without thinking, I called my daughter-in-law at Bremerton Naval Station in Washington state. Her husband, my son, was the Gunny Sergeant in charge of a small detachment of U. S. Marines guarding nuclear weapons stored on shore by the U.S. Navy and I knew my daughter-in-law was at home with their one year old daughter. She was asleep and had not heard the news. It would be several hours before she heard from her husband because he, of course, was already on high alert and lock-down.
Do you remember the rest of that day? Write me. Tell me about your day. About your fears. Describe your actions. I'll only post it with your permission. And you MAY change names.
    I have a long story about that day but the short version is that all members of our immediate families were not in harm's way on that horrendous day nine years ago and my Marine son subsequently made two deployments to Iraq--returning home safely from both.
Tomorrow, Dear Heart and I are going on a short, day-trip with a few friends from our community. Late in the afternoon, we'll travel by bus to a near-by lake, float around enjoying a dinner prepared by someone else, and return home refreshed and relaxed.
     Tomorrow, our home flag will fly at half-mast until noon, I will wear a flag scarf on our outing, and think about this brave country that is still one nation under God and I will pray for His mercy.

Later, we'll talk about our September 12ths.

Standing Firm,
          Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment